Provided by the staff of Great Wines & Spirits. Photos courtesy of Unsplash.
Summer parties, concerts, BBQs and potlucks are in full force – so are the temperatures. So why not get creative with your drinks to keep you cool and refreshed? Chill out this summer with our twist of taste selections.
Refreshing Cocktail Hacks
- A perfect drink is sweet and sour, but a perfect cocktail is in the middle.
- To stir or to shake: citrus drinks are shaken and boozy drinks stirred.
- Lemon for brown spirits and lime for white spirits.
- Big ice cubes keep your drinks cool longer.
- Make ice cubes from tonic water to add flavor as it melts.
- Place the glass in the freezer for an hour to chill it.
Tequila Sunrise Mimosas
- Orange Juice
In a champagne flute, pour 1 ounce tequila and top off halfway with champagne. Then pour orange juice, a splash of grenadine and garnish with an orange wedge.
The Summer Cup
- Sparkling Wine
- Ginger Liqueur
- Cranberry Juice
Feel free to pour everything in a large punch bowl and serve with fresh fruits like lemons, strawberries, and cranberries.
Summer Wine Hacks
- Chill it: Pop your bottle of red wine in the refrigerator for about 20 to 30 minutes before serving. You’ll be amazed its bright and refreshing taste. Or use ice and salt to quickly chill.
- Un-oaked or very lightly oaked: Choose un-oaked or very lightly oaked reds. They are generally lighter, fruitier and much more refreshing on warm summer days.
- Moderation: Alcohol can affect you more in hot weather. Choose wines of 13% and below.
Summer Whiskey Cocktails
Don’t put away your whiskey just because the weather gets warm. Whiskey in all of its forms, from bourbon and rye to scotch, Irish, Canadian and Japanese, isn’t just for cold weather. On its own, with a cube or a splash of water, or in a wide variety of cocktails, is a refreshing spirit that can and should be enjoyed all summer long.
This bourbon cocktail is a classic for a reason. It’s light, refreshing and usually served in a metal cup that keeps it nice and frosty. Though strongly linked to the Kentucky Derby, this drink should be enjoyed all summer long.
This cocktail is pretty simple –sort of like an alcoholic version of Ocean Spray Cran-Apple. Crown Royal Apple whisky and cranberry juice are combined, stirred and topped with an apple wheel in a tall tumbler filled with ice.
And if you find the whiskey still tastes too hot, remember: “There’s no rule against throwing in a few ice cubes.”
So, keep yourself cool and fresh in this hot weather with some chilled alcoholic beverages!
For more information visit
or pick up your summer party starters at