Disney’s Aladdin, the hit Broadway musical (North American Tour) is playing at Memphis’ Orpheum Theatre through March 8, 2020.
It is absolutely amazing! The scenery is all-out Disney and the costumes are dazzling. You’ll want to see it over and over.
In Memphis, Aladdin will play Tuesdays through Fridays at 7:30pm, Saturdays at 2pm & 8pm and Sundays at 1pm & 6:30pm. There will also be a 2pm matinee on Thursday, February 27. VIP Ticket Packages, which include the best seats in the theater and two exclusive merchandise items, are also available. Tickets are available at the Orpheum Theatre Box Office (901.525.3000), Ticketmaster, and online at orpheum-memphis.com. Orders for groups of 10 or more may be placed by calling 901.529.4226. The Orpheum’s 2019-2020 Broadway Season is sponsored by Memphis Area Honda Dealers and SunTrust Private Wealth Management.
Ticket buyers are reminded that the Orpheum Theatre and Ticketmaster are the only official retail ticket outlets for all performances at the Orpheum Theatre. Ticket buyers who purchase tickets from a ticket broker or any third party should be aware that the Orpheum Theatre is unable to reprint or replace lost or stolen tickets and is unable to contact patrons with information regarding time changes or other pertinent updates regarding the performance.
Aladdin is brought to thrilling theatrical life in this bold new musical that will sweep you into an exotic world full of daring adventure, classic comedy and timeless romance. It’s an unforgettable experience that includes all the cherished songs from the Academy Award-winning score and more written especially for the stage.
Aladdin, the hit musical based on the Academy Award®-winning animated film, opened on Broadway at the New Amsterdam Theatre to critical acclaim on March 20, 2014 and quickly established itself as one of the biggest new blockbusters in recent years, breaking 14 New Amsterdam Theatre house records. Worldwide it has welcomed more than 10 million people, grossed over $1 billion and its global footprint includes productions in Tokyo, Germany, and on tour across North America.
Produced by Disney Theatrical Productions, under the direction of Thomas Schumacher, the show features music by Tony Award and eight-time Oscar® winner Alan Menken (Beauty and the Beast, Newsies, Sister Act), lyrics by two-time Oscar winnerHoward Ashman (Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid), three-time Tony Award and three-time Oscar winner Tim Rice (Evita, Aida) and six-time Tony Award nominee Chad Beguelin (The Wedding Singer), with a book by Beguelin, and is directed and choreographed by Tony Award winner Casey Nicholaw (The Book of Mormon).
Aladdin, adapted from the animated Disney film and centuries-old folktales including “One Thousand and One Nights,” is brought to fresh theatrical life in this bold new musical. Aladdin’s journey sweeps audiences into an exotic world of daring adventure, classic comedy and timeless romance. This new production features a full score, including the five cherished songs from the Academy Award-winning soundtrack and more written especially for the stage.
The animated film Aladdin was released by Disney in 1992 and was a critical and box office smash, becoming the highest-grossing film of the year.
The film won the Oscar for Best Original Score and introduced the hit song “A Whole New World,” which won the second of the film’s two Academy Awards as Best Original Song. The Peabo Bryson/Regina Belle recording of the tune soared to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
Aladdin is designed by seven-time Tony-winning scenic designer Bob Crowley, six-time Tony-winning lighting designer Natasha Katz, two-time Tony-winning costume designer Gregg Barnes and sound designer Ken Travis.
The production team also includes illusion designer Jim Steinmeyer, hair designer Josh Marquette and makeup designer Milagros Medina-Cerdeira. The music team is headed by music supervisor and music director Michael Kosarin, who also created the vocal and incidental music arrangements, joined by orchestrator Danny Troob and dance music arranger Glen Kelly.
For more information, visit AladdinTheMusical.com/tour, Facebook.com/Aladdin and Twitter.com/Aladdin
Aladdin is the collaboration of a gold-standard Broadway creative team, winners of a cumulative 22 Tony Awards.
- Directed & Choreographed by Tony Award winner Casey Nicholaw (The Book of Mormon, Spamalot, The Drowsy Chaperone).
- Music by Tony Award, eight-time Academy Award and 11-time GRAMMY Award winner Alan Menken (The Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Newsies).
- Lyrics by two-time Academy Award and four-time GRAMMY Award winner Howard Ashman (The Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast) & three-time Tony Award, three-time Academy Award and five-time GRAMMY Award winner Tim Rice (Aida, The Lion King).
- Book & Additional Lyrics by four-time Tony Award nominee Chad Beguelin (The Wedding Singer).
- Scenic Design by seven-time Tony Award winner Bob Crowley (Mary Poppins, Aida).
- Lighting Design by: six-time Tony Award winner Natasha Katz (Aida, Once).
- Costume Design by two-time Tony Award winner Gregg Barnes (The Drowsy Chaperone).
- An outstanding score including all five songs from the original animated film.
- Characters known and loved worldwide.
- First class creative team.
- Unparalleled stagecraft from Disney.
- Lush and spectacular scenic design by Bob Crowley.
- Subtle and sophisticated illusions executed to jaw-dropping effect.
About the Animated Film
- Aladdin was the highest-grossing film of 1992.
- It went on to win the Oscar for Best Original Score and introduced the hit song “A Whole New World,” which won the second of the film’s two Academy Awards® as Best Original Song. The Peabo Bryson/Regina Belle recording of the tune soared to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
- First performance February 26 and opening night March 20, 2014 at the New Amsterdam Theatre.
North American Tour
- First performance April 11 and opening night April 19, 2017 at The Cadillac Palace Theatre in Chicago.
North American Tour Costumes
- Aladdin’s exquisite costumes are designed by Tony®-winning costume designer Gregg Barnes. It took Barnes six hours to draw and paint one costume sketch.
- All costumes worn in Aladdin are custom made, by hand, especially for the show.
- 352 people in 28 different shops worked on the construction of the costumes for Aladdin.
- Aladdin’s spectacular costumes feature 2,039 fabrics and trims from Morocco, Turkey, India, Uzbekistan, China, Tahiti, Japan, Guatemala, Mexico, France, Italy, England and Germany.
- There are 337 costumes in the show, based on 134 individual designs.
- There are 161 custom made shoes in the show.
- During one performance, 102 costume changes take place in under 1 minute and 52 costume changes take place in less than 30 seconds
- There are 8,644 SwarovskiÒ crystals on EACH gold finale costume in “Friend Like Me.”
- Jasmine’s wedding dress weighs 12 lbs because of all the crystal beading.
North American Tour Tech
- From dazzling pyrotechnics to a flying Magic Carpet, Aladdin features 84 illusions and effects
- There are over 111 moving lights and 173 conventional lights employed throughout the show.
- There are 38 tons of flying scenery, lighting and automated effects suspended from the grid in the North American tour.
- There are 53 different automated scenic effects in the touring production.
- It takes 75 people to deliver each performance of Aladdin on tour. This includes actors, stage crew, musicians, dressers, hairstylists and make-up artists.
Where can I get more information on Aladdin?
For information visit, AladdinTheMusical.com/tour, or follow us on Facebook and Twitter:
- Facebook: Facebook.com/Aladdin
- Twitter Handle: @Aladdin